Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Luke 21:34

Luke 21:34: Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap. (NIV)

There are many days when it feels like the day is heavy. I really understand what it is to be weighed down by the anxieties of life. I know that my non-Christian friends will happily give over to drink and/or dissipation (that means wasteful expenditure, diversions). If they want to distract themselves from real life, then they do exactly that - they distract themselves, getting away from reality. I find it much better to get close to God. If I consider His perspective, remembering that my frustrations are really insignificant in the bigger picture, then I can get through much better. I just wish that my own frustrations didn't feel heavy. I know certainly know that when a bad day hits, it's likely to catch me unaware. I need to focus on God so that days don't catch me like that.

The verse before this one says "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. (NIV)" So when I'm feeling down, I'm going to focus on God's words.

No comments: