Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Luke 2:4

Luke 2:4 - Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David (NIV)

Christmas is on Monday, and New Year follows soon after that. It's a time of reflection, a time to look back at the year. When a project finishes we have a Lessons Learned phase, and we need to have this in life as well. John Lennon asks "So this is Christmas, what have we done?", and Sting says "History will teach us nothing".

When I consider that Jesus was born during a census, and that he was born in Bethlehem because Joseph was from the house of David, I think God wants us to consider that heritage is important. We shouldn't be looking backwards all the time, to wonder how things could be different with a different past, but we should acknowledge what has happened before, and where we come from.

So I want to look back and learn. Learn from the past project, learn from the past year (or month, week, five minutes), learn from my heritage. I want to value the heritage that time gives me, because it's a gift from above.

No comments: