Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Romans 3:10

Romans 3:10 - No one is truly wise; no one is seeking God. (NLT)

Really? Not even me? Aren't I seeking God? What about pastors, priests, monks?

Well, if you consider what God would probably require to seek him fully, perhaps we're not. I mean, he's an incredible being. Unfathomable. Beyond understanding. I'm fully ready to admit that I'm not wise, but I do try to seek God. And I think that's the point.

When you expand the rest of Romans 3, you see that it's a quote from the Old Testament, when people needed to adhere to the law to attain holiness (although we also know that they were still justified by their faith). Nowadays we can enter his presence because of what Christ has done.

So does it actually still apply? Is it still the case that no-one is seeking God? I know that I enjoy spending time in his presence, and do want to get closer to him, so I do my best to seek him. That doesn't make me holy though, and if I try to consider myself a God-seeker because of what I do, then I am still sorely mistaken. Thank God for Christ.

No comments: