Monday, October 16, 2006

Ecclesiastes 5:11

Ecclesiastes 5:11 - The more you have, the more people come to help you spend it. So what good is wealth - except perhaps to watch it slip through your fingers!

I think there's a difference between the kind of wealth that is enabling and the kind of wealth that is just for wealth's sake. I don't want to accumulate stuff, but I would like to be free to do what I want to do. To not have to work to pay the bills - that would be good.

However, working is good. It's good for the soul, or something. I have to remind myself this on days when I don't want to be there. It's easier to write this in the evening than during the day, of course. In the evenings, I can look up and see my family. I can easily remind myself that I don't work for myself, but for God and for my family. One day I'm sure God will work out a way for me to be financially independent, at which point I will do a lot more for him - working for the church or something. But for now, each day at the IT firm that is my employer is for him.

No comments: