Tuesday, October 10, 2006

James 3:13

James 3:13 - Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. (NIV)

I got awarded a Microsoft MVP award last week. It's a flattering gesture by them, and it's supposed to suggest that I know about my area of expertise, which is SQL Server. I feel honoured, especially considering some of the other people who have been awarded it too. But then today I came across this scripture. There's a difference between knowledge and wisdom. I know a chunk of stuff about writing SQL queries, but I'm wise enough to know that I'd be stupid to be proud of knowledge or wisdom.

The other aspect to this scripture is that it suggests our good lives are seen by other people. That's tough. We actually have to live as if we're being watched. I don't think this is really the mindset to have, but rather, to do our best to honour God in everything. If we honour God in every part of our lives, then that will be seen as a 'good life' by anyone watching. But the focus is God, not the watcher.

No comments: